Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Why We Are Grain-Free


Family members and acquaintances keep asking me why I'm bothering with the paleo diet for my family of 10 when it is so much work and so expensive.  I try to tell them that for the first time, we are feeling healthy...we didn't even know we weren't feeling well on our impoverished grain-heavy diet.  Others are concerned about our weight loss...even though we feel better than ever.  They give me strange looks when I suggest I'd get rid of telephone and internet before going back to that way of eating.  I think I'd live in a tent first.  I just can't put a price on thinking clearly and relative peace in the home. 

Four of our children have had their tonsils & adenoids removed because they were chronically large from infancy.  Three more of my children, before the diet change, were referred to the ENT for the same problems.  By the time they were able to have their appointments (months after starting the paleo diet) the ENT gave me a strange look.  He said they're big, but not nearly large enough to remove.  What?  Those tonsils were "kissing" just months before. Wow!  He gave me a strange look when I wondered out loud if it could be the grain-free diet.  His look said, "you, too?" 

School lunches are the most difficult, but my kids are troupers when it comes to food.  We haven't tried dairy-free yet, though I've slowly been tapering off on it, hoping nobody notices my effort.  When I do buy dairy, it's as natural as I can find it.  Gluten-free pepperettes, berries, fresh fruits, dried fruits, salads, and occasional yogurt or cheeses go in their lunchboxes for snacks.  Very rarely gluten-free potato chips are sent (for very special occasions, or if the school is providing a lunch they can't have).  

Banana splits or sundaes are the new birthday fare, because I don't have the time or budget for baking enough grain-free cake for a crowd.  I'm considering purchasing or making a waldorf-style birthday ring for the candles now that there is no cake to stick them in.  Hey, maybe I'll make my own out of clay, made to fit the beeswax birthday candles I make.  Kids can help--yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment